Business Development Lead
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Start Date: August 2021
TaroWorks is seeking a highly-motivated, seasoned sales professional to drive its expansion in the European, Middle Eastern, and African (EMEA) and Asia Pacific regions. The Business Development Lead will identify, sell and close annual SaaS subscriptions and professional service engagements to new customers including nonprofits, and for-profit companies.
We are looking to fill two Business Development Lead positions with different focuses. When applying, please indicate which focus you are interested in pursuing:
- Nonprofits and social enterprises
- Commercial companies in the emerging markets
The ideal Business Development Lead candidate is creative, high-energy and flexible, comfortable working in small business environments and keeps a focus on meeting and exceeding sales goals while placing a high priority on client relationships. Candidates must be comfortable communicating with all levels of decision makers within the organization, including c-level executives, program managers, and technology executives. The candidate should have an opportunistic eye toward generating leads based on the identified target markets. The position is based in Nairobi with most prospecting and sales activities performed by phone, email, and video chat but will occasionally require in-person meetings with potential clients and attending conferences once travel-related restrictions around Covid-19 are lifted. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer based in Washington, DC, USA.
At TaroWorks, our mission is to improve product and service delivery to the poor by bringing real-time data to any organization, anywhere. Our customers distribute goods and services in remote places with no access to network, and use technology to improve their operations and delivery. Our system is an offline mobile extension of salesforce.com, the world’s leading customer relationship management software. TaroWorks LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Grameen Foundation, a non-profit dedicated to helping the world’s poor connect with their potential.
Find out more at www.taroworks.org.
The Business Development Lead will have the following specific responsibilities:
- Develop pipeline of qualified prospects in support of meeting or exceeding annual earned revenue target. Lead all new selling and revenue opportunities within EMEA and APAC, and other regions when needed, from prospecting, pitching, consulting and scoping, to contract execution.
- Maintain relationships with prospects by providing information, support, and guidance throughout the sales cycle.
- Drive consultative sales: be able to understand the problem the customer is trying to solve, and then recommend and map how TaroWorks will specifically address their pain points and add value.
- Ensure smooth transition of newly signed clients to the onboarding and Customer Success teams.
- Remain abreast of key industry trends and be aware of all competitive forces in the marketplace, sharing any relevant information with management on a regular basis.
- Work with other teams (within TaroWorks or with implementing partners) and leverage key TaroWorks resources through the sales cycle to move and convert prospects into contracted and paying TaroWorks customers.
- Drive new partnership opportunities to help grow the footprint of implementing partners.
- Prepare and maintain reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing sales activities in Salesforce.com.
- Be an active part of TaroWorks’ strategic planning: Identify product and professional services improvements by channeling customer feedback to key teams within TaroWorks.
- Represent TaroWorks in relevant industry, trade or community events to create greater brand awareness for the product.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A minimum of 5 years sales experience with proven track record in software solution sales including developing pipelines, planning sales and managing the sales process. Proven ability to prospect, build a pipeline and forecast accurately.
- Track record of consistently delivering revenue to meet or exceed all revenue targets.
- Strong strategic and consultative selling skills, via telephone calls, meetings and emails.
- TaroWorks is a B2B business, so a strong ability to identify various stakeholders and qualify decision makers, manage a sales cycle which includes successfully directing resources, uncovering customer needs, identifying opportunities, removing barriers, articulating value to the customer’s business.
- Ability to work cross-functionally to project manage requirements in order to close a sale.
- Motivated and driven to make continuous improvements and the ability to thrive without significant direct supervision.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal.
- Hands-on experience with Salesforce or another CRM system highly desired.
- Experience with geographically distributed teams and driving accountability and tracking results.
- Enthusiasm and passion for our mission and work.
- Excellent organizational, time management skills and multi-tasking skills: ability to simultaneously close large customers while nurturing early stage prospects.
- Good negotiation and deal closing skills.
- Team player – someone who can coordinate and work with internal resources necessary to close a sale.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics, Finance, International Development or related field
- Experience in technology/enterprise software sales or consulting
- Fluency in French or Spanish a plus, although not required
Please submit your application online in the TaroWorks Business Development Lead Application Form.